Your friends at BOSS Facility Services want to help you celebrate this Independence Day safely. Here are a few safety tips to consider when preparing for your celebration.
- Never give fireworks to small children, and always follow the instructions on the packaging.
- Keep a supply of water close by as a precaution.
- Make sure the person lighting fireworks always wears eye protection.
- Light only one firework at a time and never attempt to relight “a dud.”
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from children and pets.
- Never throw or point a firework toward people, animals, vehicles, structures or flammable materials.
- Leave any area immediately where untrained amateurs are using fireworks.
- Limit sun exposure to direct sunlight between 10am and 4pm.
- Wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15
- Reapply sunscreen often
- Drink plenty of water, even if not thirsty
- Protect your eyes with sunglasses hat or visor
***WATCH FOR SIGNS OF HEAT STROKE***
During hot weather, watch for signs of heat stroke—hot, red skin; changes in consciousness; rapid, weak pulse; rapid, shallow breathing. If it’s suspected someone is suffering from heat stroke:
- Call 9-1-1 and move the person to a cooler place.
- Quickly cool the body by applying cool, wet cloths or towels to the skin (or misting it with water) and fanning the person.
- Watch for signs of breathing problems and make sure the airway is clear. Keep the person lying down.
Have a Safe & Happy 4th of July!
The BOSS Team